Album Thoughts: ARASHI / Japonism

Title: Japonism
Artist: 嵐
Release date: 2015.10.21


You know what Arashi is good at with their albums every year? Getting better and better with one after the other. And this year is no exception. They once again release an album filled with absolute amazingness. And, well, seeing as it sold over 820,000 copies in its first week, what else do you want me to say?

But really, this album is gold, I'm telling you. The theme, the outlook, the content and everything is on point. When it was first announced that the album was to be called Japonism, I knew straight away that it's going to be very interesting. And Ohno and Nino are the star vocalists here. They sound so good in this album. This year Arashi focuses on the theme of 'Japan' and 'Japan viewed from the outside' and something like that. And puts out new and fresh sound for people to hear. They released three versions of this album. All worth buying of course. Darn it, they know how to sell! Oh wells, they are worth it! Also the album covers are awesome. It's very... blue...ish. Which is very nice. The font is so good! Like, it's so on point. And I love how with this album they decided to show their name in kanji. Like, it's '嵐', not 'ARASHI', and I just thought that's so cool. The boys looks stylish with their costumes, and Nino... oh Nino, you're the best.

The thing with Arashi's music is that they are perfectly recorded. Like, no sudden heave of breath or anything. And I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but it does make me wonder. I mean, I know idols are supposed to be like, perfect. But it does make a difference while listening to other music artists. Other singers record songs just like they are actually singing and nothing is done with what they've recorded (okay, maybe a little bit). But with idol music, it feels like there's a bunch of producers and staff putting pieces together behind the scenes, and making sure the song is perfectly vocalised with no mistakes. So it just feels different, you know. It's just something that I suddenly thought of while listening to this album. It's not anything new since all of their music is like that. And I just feel like sharing.

Anyway, let's get onto the first track of this amazingness. Arashi begins this with the awesomeness that is Sakura, and we all know that's the song that was released as a single way back in February. I can't believe February was that long ago. It just doesn't feel like that long ago but it was. This was the theme song to Toma and Shun's drama Ouroboros, and it's the first drama theme song without any Arashi member starring in the drama. Personally, I think this song is a great fit for this album. The instrumental elements is all what this album is about. The tune is extraordinary intense and suits the drama so well. But the music video... hahahaha, there's nothing wrong with it, and it was totally fine at first, until I saw a fan commented that Arashi looked really bored in the music video, and when I rewatched it, I found out that it's actually true and I just find it so hilarious. Watch it and you will know what I mean.


Now, Sakura is the song that inspired my online ego name. Remember that first time Arashi performed this song on Music Station? And that they blasted out tons of sakura and received complains saying that there was so much that fans couldn't see their idols' faces?? Lol. Well, to me, that was when sakura storm was created in my imagination. And that was how I began this blog. So I'm forever grateful to this song, haha. Sakura was also the first song of 2015 from Arashi, so it feels refreshing and special to me. I mean, this year has gone way too fast. Just a blink of an eye and it's already time for Japonism. And Sakura has landed its special place in here. The very first place of Japonism. The start of the journey through this elegant world of Japanese instruments. Which lead onto the next powerful track that is 心の空 (Kokoro no Sora). You know, I've been trying to figure out what the title is actually meant, but it made my head hurt, so I gave up. I mean, I know what it means, but I don't know what they are trying to make here. Heart no Sky? Sky in Heart? What? Anyway, nevermind, it still sound beautiful. The first time fans heard this song was on Aiba's radio show, the second time was on Nino's radio show. And I guess a lot of people had many opinions on this back then, but once the music video was released, people's opinions changed, like, in a good way, and I guess it makes sense. This song has a tune that is new to people so it takes a while for people to get used to. As for me, well, I liked it at first listen. And grew to love it when the full version came out. And that is mostly thanks to the music video, I guess, lol. It's very interesting, both the song and the video. And... well, the dance. It's mostly the dance that caught my attention.


Kokoro no Sora is very interesting. Firstly, it was written and arranged by famed guitarist Tomoyasu Hotei-san, who also appears in the video. Secondly, it has Sakurap in it, which means Sho's involved. Thirdly, the interlude was choreographed by Ohno. Also the 'Haru machi zakura... Tsukiyo no hanabi...' bit is extra gold. Love the hand movements to it. Great job guys! The whole song is just so... Japanese. It's very nice. And this is the Arashi song I am obsessed with at the moment. I think the best thing about this song is the guitar. I have this thing for guitars, and I just love how Hotei-san's guitar just mixes in so well, with the right tunes and elements. I heard that Sho and Jun, along with riida Ohno, was involved in the production arrangement with Hotei-san, and Ohno said that he wanted to hear more of Hotei-san's guitar. Well, the result made Hotei-san happy, it made Kokoro no Sora sound better, and it made me satisfied, it's a tripple win-win. Also, Sakurap. No need to say further.

The third track of this album is 君への想い (Kimi e no Omoi), which is a peaceful and nice track which starts off with some beautiful Japanese elements. This song is not really my type and the chorus doesn't sound very convincing, but! It wasn't until Sho's rap and the bit that comes after that made this song sound good to me. Nino's voice sound so good here. So I decided this song is another thumbs up. But this song is a song that I probably won't choose to listen if I had the choice of another song.

The next track is our first member solo, Don't you love me?, which comes from the concert master himself who's going to make the upcoming Japonism Tour yet another epic dream for all fans to remember, the full-of-amazingness that is Matsumoto Jun. To be honest, there's really nothing to say except that this is yet another MatsuJun song. And, as Nino said himself, you could imagine Jun taking off his clothes and be sexy right from beginning to end. ^^

The track that comes after Jun's solo is miyabi-night, and I don't understand why this song is not getting enough attention because this song is epic and deserves a shout out. This song has to be my favourite track of this album. It begins with more Japanese elements (again), and god, every second and intrumentation is perfect, and it just carries on and on which gives a non-stop eargasm! I don't know how many times I've looped this song, and it gets me excited every time I listen to it because I just can't wait to see what the guys is going to pull off with this song for the live performance during the concert. Also, Arashi's voices sound so good and mix in so well together that it gives me feels. ^^

三日月 (Mikazuki) comes after miyabi-night, and Ohno did say he really liked this song. But at first I just thought it sounded weird. Like, I know it's a nice ballad with Arashi's voices electrified, but it still hasn't really grow on me. But I have nothing against it so it's fine. Haha. Speaking of electrified, it kind of remind me of The Digitialian and its electric elements. Which reminds me to mention something I forgot to point out at the beginning. With each album Arashi puts out, it's like each album is a transformation and a level-up from the previous album. And that's what it feels like. From Boku no Miteiru Fukei, tranformed into Beautiful World, to the fun Popcorn, to the fresh and mature LOVE, and then the digitalised THE DIGITALIAN, and now Japonism, the sound and overall feel of each album reminds us that we shouldn't forget their previous albums because each is growing and becomes better one after the other, which carried on the sound from the previous ones of eachother. And that's why Arashi's so good with what they give out. They don't just do it, they actually plan for a whole year for their next target, and I bet now that Japonism is out, they are already planning for an even better transformation for the following year, another project that will beat their current record. And I will probably mention this again the next times I review their new albums. Anyway, the seventh track of Japonism, which comes after Mikazuki, is Bolero! (don't ask), and I feel like it's mixed with not only Japanese elements but it kind of reminds me of, say, Cosmos from Popcorn, and has like, Brazilian or I don't know what football-ish olympic-ish stuff in it. Lol. It's really nice, though. It carries this excitement like you're in a festival containing new discoveries, and it gets me excited because I feel like Arashi will come up with big amazingness with this concert.

The next track is Aiba's solo, Mr. FUNK. And remember last year when Disco Star generated a lot of excitement among the fandom? Well, this is probably a level-up from Disco Star, like Disco Star is now Mr. Funk, and he's going to make you kya even more and your ovaries is going to explode and Aiba is going to take your soul! He's going to come up with an even crazier performance than Disco Star and pop your fangirl mind out! And so is Ohno Satoshi with his solo, (Akatsuki). I'm imagining Ohno is going to pull off some beautiful Japanese dancing and choreo to full-fill my Oh-chan fangirl mind and I will be satisfied forever and I will be able to die peacefully. Lol, just kidding. Ohno's solo carries on the Japonism theme of amazing Japanese sound and elements. And it was, because I'm biased, my favourite member solo of this album... until someone called Sakurai Sho came up. Now, I'm going to skip 青空の下、キミのとなり (Aozora no Shita, Kimi no Tonari), because you can read about my thoughts on this song in full glory here, so I'm going on straight for Sho's solo, Rolling days. I don't know what happened. Because Sho's solos never really hit me anywhere. I liked T.A.B.O.O, but that's probably it from Sho. And then five years later, he puts this out and I'm like, so impressed. I don't what happened. If it wasn't for miyabi-night, this song would've become my favourite track on the album. Which is weird because it's a member solo. And last year for THE DIGITALIAN, I disliked Hey Yeah! because it was so darn annoying which made me said that Sho's voice is flat and goes nowhere and that I want to punch him. And a year later this comes up, and I'm just like, I'm sorry Sho! You're the best!. Rolling days is eargasm from first listen. It is so good that I loop it in my ears for hours (if I had the time of course lol), and it will get stuck in my head that when I'm not listening to it I will still be singing it (in my head). So basically I'm obsessed, which even me don't understand why. The rap is the best thing ever, though. I feel like, out of all Sho's raps, this is like, the best, ever. It builds up and gives you not only eargasms, but whole-body-gasms. Lol. I just thought this personally, because Sho has a lot of raps in the past 16 years so I'm not allowed to say what's best. But this is the best. Haha.

Anyway, this post is getting long so moving on. The next track is イン・ザ・ルーム (In the room), which sounds like a song that should've been on LOVE, lol. And since I just had a lot of Sho feels, he continues to melt me by putting out yet more Sakurap for this song. And Nino, please don't. I'm sorry, but when I think of sexiness from Arashi, I think of Nino. Who is dangerous. My nose can't handle the bloodflow. Even though I feel like In the room should've been on LOVE, I'm still fine with it because, as I said these albums are a continuation from their previous albums, so it still has its own place here. The next song is マスカレード (Masquerade), and at first I just thought it sounded like a typical Arashi song that again should've been on LOVE, but then after a few more listens, I thought it sounded like an anime opening theme song or a game theme song or something, so I really like it just because of that lol.

And who can forget Ninomiya Kazunari? I feel like everytime I talk about Nino, I could go on forever, like, I have a lot to say, so I'll try to shorten it a bit. When this album came out, the first member solo I chose to listen was Nino's. Funny since I always go for Oh-chan first. Sorry Ohno. The last member solo on this album is MUSIC sang by Nino. And this is like, the first time since I don't know when that Nino didn't write and compose his own solo. Which at first made many fans upset, including me, but we quickly got over it. Because the producers decided to make a song about Nino from outside perspectives, haha. I liked the song at first, but then I decided that this song is like Hey Yeah! so I'm not gonna go there. But I guess there's this part of the song that makes up the whole mess. Yes, it's the absolutely eargasmic awesome fabulous amazing great interlude at the middle that gave me so much happiness. The build-up of tension is so good I question my sanity. It is so perfect I wonder if I have gone to heaven already. Lol.

Anyway, onto 伝えたいこと (Tsutaetai Koto). I heard a lot of fans really like this song. I just thought it sounded typical but I get where they are coming from. Tsutaetai Koto sound like a happy Christmas song that should be sang during the encore or something. I wonder what the guys are going to come up with for this one. And then we get the last by not actually last, Japoneque, which name screams Japonism, lol. Jun said he really like this song. Well, duh. I could totally see why. It's totally his type. Jun is going to think up some crazy fun choreo performance for this! Can't wait.

Japonism is great because it has three versions. And I have thought before whether this year's album is going to have like a disc 2 of bonus tracks, kind of like Boku no Miteiru Fukei. And well, Arashi can read their fans' minds so what else could I say. I'm impressed. Not only the bonus tracks they added but also a cover song, which was unexpected. But it was a great surprise. And I feel like Shonentai is like, Arashi's ultimate senpai or something. I mean Shonentai is involved in Ohno being the leader...
Anyway, 日本よいとこ摩訶不思議 covered by 嵐 is the track I'm going on about, and this song has become one of my favourites. It's lively and fun, and I think Arashi chose the right song to cover. Extra gold from the talk (rap) bit, it's so funny. And during the secret talk Arashi played their own individual versions of the rap and they are so funny. Yeah, Japonism also contains a secret talk because Arashi is too awesome. Anyway, they performed this song on Music Station, and it was just pure entertainment gold. Get those moves going, guys! Also, throwback 1980's!! (When I wasn't even born yet!!)

The bonus tracks from the third version contains four new songs. The first one is 僕らがつないでいく (Bokura ga tsunaide iku). This song is one of the very first tracks I listened to when this album first came out (wait, it was just two weeks ago?), and I fell in love. I looped this like... like I loop Rolling days and miyabi-night like a happy fangirl. And Ohno and Nino are the star vocalists, seriously. Nino, especially, is gold. He sounded so perfect during the second verse, my heart melted, literally. The next track is the Deep End, which is song that was so obviously supposed to be on THE DIGITALIAN and wouldn't even sound out of place. It's fine here too because, you know. Anyway, the Deep End sound like another version of TRAP except is more sexier with MatsuJun telling us to go "Motto deep inside" like what is he trying to do to my poor fangirl heart?! I really like this song. It has the right beat and excitement that carries along the flow. And since I'm used to listening to TRAP I guess I don't mind this song being so darn loud. Anyway, last but not least, Make a wish, which is just another uplifting Arashi song. It hasn't really grew on me yet. I mean, I don't mind it, but it's kind of forgettable. I hope once I seen the live performance the song will grow on me. Oh wells, it's still really nice, and I can imagine them singing this during the encore or something.

Personally, I feel like Japonism is one great album with tracks all worth listening to. They added bonus tracks that are actually worth being there, and each song has its own place. And so Arashi wraps up this album with a song that everyone has been hearing in the past 5 years, a song that is so honourable they got the whole Kouhaku Uta Gassen participants to sing it with them. Yes, it's ふるさと (Furusato). They finally decided to put this here. Thank you, Arashi. Thank you!

Conclusion: 9.9 / 10 stars. I'm sorry, but Furusato earned so much extra points it made this album near perfection.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I'M AN ARASHI FANCLUB MEMBER!!!

Album Thoughts: ARASHI / Are You Happy?